Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Lazy Days of Summer

Isn't summer the greatest? I love it! I love sitting outside barefoot with Popsicles(rootbeer) and sunscreen (SPF 70!) I love how summer lets me feel like a good mom for sitting outside with the slip'n'slide and kiddie pool while letting the laundry pile up inside my house!! (The same load of clothes has sat in my dryer for two days now-oops!) We have been so busy lately. Paul has traveled for work to Florida twice and Virginia once-all in the month of June! I've gotten pretty good at the single mom thing, but I sure am glad when he gets home. My kids have gotten really good this summer at finding really weird things to entertain themselves. For example... the other day I walked outside and found my kids like this....



I asked them what they were doing and they said they had found worms in my petunias (so that's why my flowers have holes in them!) and that they had decided to keep them as pets. There were two of them and they named them Rosa and Sid. Strange names?-Allie's worm apparently has Hispanic origins. ; )

They gathered up food (my petunias) and some decorations for the worms "house". If you look closely their is a tiny princess cup in there. Allie explained to me that the cup held their water and it also gave the worms something pretty too look at. (how very.... thoughtful.) Sid, the worm, didn't survive the clutches of Easton long enough to make it to the worm house. ( Easton went a little "Lenny" on Sid and rolled him around too death.)


I didn't really care about their "worms for pets" until later that night when I found Allie in her room with...the worm. Ew.


After she fell asleep I snuck into her room and took the worm to the garage. Gross. I then made a note on my Wal-Mart list to pick up some pesticide and a mental note to myself to maybe reconsider getting a dog or cat?

Last week we went to Lagoon. Paul's work has a "Lagoon Day." This is becoming somewhat of a tradition for our family and I'm....getting used to it. I'm not much of a fan of Lagoon. Lagoon smells bad, the people wear really bad clothes(do you really need to wear booty shorts at 45?), the rides make me sick and those people that try to get you to play the games (the ones where you win a ridiculously over-sized, stuffed,yellow bird?) freak me out. Why would you do that? I mean, come on, if you have to work at Lagoon, at least sell dippin' dots! ; ) Anyway, this is what my kids looked like on the rides....Yeah-she is crying on the stupid little kid boats! Allie feels like I do about Lagoon. She hates all the rides except for the train(which we rode 59 times)! Easton on the other hand would ride and go on anything! If he met the height requirement, he would have been on all the roller coasters! He loves everything about Lagoon. Total boy! It was so hot that day that we decided to let them run through the fountains. This beat any ride! They played in the water for a long time and their clothes were completely soaked-awesome!!










































A long time ago, I started what is called "Friday Family Night" at our house. Its self-explanatory really, but its where we always do something as family, "just the four of us", that is really fun-on Friday nights. You know...the family that plays and prays together stays together!! I started this in hopes of brainwashing our kids into thinking that Paul and I are the coolest people around, so that when they are old enough to date and hang out with their friends, just maybe they will choose us instead...I know, wishful thinking on my part, but I want them to have OODLES of memories with me and Paul. Anyway, this is one of my kids favorite things. They NEVER forget that its Friday night. We have had some awesome Friday nights together as a family. Sometimes the event is major and sometimes it involves candy land and brownies-it doesn't really matter what we do as long as we are together. Well sometimes we switch it up and do "girls night" and "boys night" This is where just me and Allie go and do something girly and the boys head out in hopes of a night of pure testosterone! This last weekend we did girl and boy nights. I took Allie to see the play, "Sound of Music" It was soooo good! We both loved it. Her teachers from her singing class had the lead roles and they were amazing! We had a great time just the two of us and I love that she is getting old enough to do that kind of stuff with me. Paul decided to take Easton golfing. Not miniature golfing...REAL golfing. They did 9-holes together. Easton thought he was the coolest thing ever. He hasn't stopped talking about his golf trip with Dad ever since. The pictures and video say it all...








6 comments:

Callee said...

Hey Nicole, I found your blog through Jess and Gregg's. Hope you don't mind that I left you a comment. I just wanted to say Hi. Your kids are getting so big. This blog thing is so much fun. Do you mind if I add you to my list so I can peek in on your family from time to time?

Girls Rule said...

Nicole, Cute pictures!! We need to plan to go swimming one day. I do think spending time just outside is great! I love summer and LOVE having the kids home. You always make me laugh reading your posts.

Tori said...

I'm glad someone else feels the way I do about Lagoon. overrated! I love the pics/video of Easton golfing. That is awesome. cute little buggers!

The Sumkos said...

Holy hannah, you were right about it being a long one. Those lagoon pics are so cute! Dax LOVED watching the video of Easton golfing and now he wants to go.

Lindsay Spencer said...

Oh my heck! That video is so cute. And you have some great pictures on there. I love the picture where Easton is letting the water hit his behind. LOL That is such a boy. You just wait until Easton starts bringing home injured birds to raise.(You're mom knows about my kids and the birds.)
I am right there with ya on the Lagoon thing. Nikki tries to get us to go every year, and I just can't bring myself to giving in. I smells like stinky wet feet(make that dog feet) and old hot dogs(combined)!

Jessica Thomas said...

I am so glad you update this. I can't wait until we are actually home this summer so I can play catch up. I miss you horribly!

All my love, Jess