Thursday, January 5, 2012

In Her Room

Both of my girl's rooms are painted pink. The exact same shade is in both rooms-"Ballet Slipper" to be exact. I painted with that color(Here) just weeks before Olivia joined our family. I was SO excited to see that color go on the wall! Then, when the painter came and painted the basement, he asked me twice if I was sure I wanted that color in Allie's bedroom. He said "It's a lot of pink." To which I replied,"That's the whole idea." Ha. I love that color of pink!
Anyway, today I was cleaning the downstairs and when I was done and just sat and looked around Allie's room for a minute. Little girl growing up. That's all I could think. Inside her room you can see remnants from her past; Disney princess stuff, books, pictures.....and then you can see the more grown up paraphernalia emerging; the guitar, big chapter books, perfume, earrings. It made me smile....and it made me sad.
Then I thought about my own room when I was in fourth grade. I can remember some of it: Mauve carpet(eeww...), canopy bed, Mary Lou Retton poster, my white wire shelves, talking mother goose(yes, it was a real toy) a homemade pound puppy from my grandma....but I wish I had pictures of my room. That would be fun to look at now! So I decided that I would take pictures of each of my kid's rooms so that when they are older they can look at them and laugh their heads off. ;)
Up first-Allie's room.


One of my favorite parts of Allie's room is that her furniture belonged to her great-grandmother. Grammy Mel. I LOVE this furniture. When I would go and stay at my grandma's, I would sleep in this same bed. It used to be brown-but a couple of coats of white paint and it looked like new. I put her in this bed when she was three and she looked SO tiny the first night she slept in it!



We(and by we I mean Paul) just recently painted this and moved it into her room. HOW CUTE IS THAT?! It has sat in the unfinished part of our basement for years and we(Paul) finally got tired of it sitting there and spray painted it for me and put on new drawer pulls. It looks even cuter in person-but again, it came from my grandma and matches the bed. Can you even imagine how many times she will sing into that mirror?- ;)
Notice the stack of Princess books? She(and by she, I mean me)can't bear to get rid of them. She read them so much when she was little that the bindings are falling apart. The very bottom pink book is a collection of Disney Princess stories and it was the first book I ever bought Allie. I was almost six months pregnant with her when I found it at Target-I bought it, took it home and left it out so that each time I passed by it I could think about reading stories with my baby girl.....and boy did we read them!
Then look above the princess books-Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Books filled with stories about a boy and farts, wierd moles and other strange bodily functions. The antithesis of a princess story......and Allie reads them and laughs her head off. haha...


The bottom of her Disney Princess lamp. It's a lamp and a nightlight-their dresses glow for the nightlight part. Again, we(me)can't bear to hand it off to Olivia. Allie LOVES to write stories. I find notebooks and pieces of paper everywhere with stories of all kinds. This one pictured was about her and Easton. I kind of melted when I saw it-and hopefully Easton won't mind that they are holding hands inside a heart. HAHA...
I need to do Easton's room which should prove to be interesting. Today while making his bed I found a NASA flight patch, seashell and a screw. ???

Also, I re-did me and Paul's bedroom and bathroom right after Christmas and as soon as I get my roman shade up-I will post pictures!

*Author's note: This post is random, sappy and just a little wierd. Totally aware of that and you will just have to deal with it. Paul's asleep and is kind of tired of me talking about how time is going too fast. ;)

0 comments: