A few days ago, our friends from high school found out that their little boy has an inoperable brain tumor. Everyone has been in a state of shock and sadness with this news. I can't even think about it without crying. Their little boy, Dylan, is Allie's age and I just can't even imagine what they are all going through right now. We have been praying like crazy for them-praying for a miracle for them-and all the while asking, "Why?!" "How can this happen?" "How will they get through this?" No answer seemed to help. It just sucks.
Whenever these things happen, it promptly puts perspective in one's life. I believe Ryan, Dylan's dad, said it best with this comment shortly after they received the diagnosis:
"hug your kids, tell them you love them, forget about the 'stupid crap' in life and the things that drive you crazy about them. Children are the greatest gift God has bestowed upon his children here on earth. And there is no guarantee tomorrow, we are only promised today so love them, love them for the blessings they are and cherish the time we are all granted to spend with them during this mortal existence!"
Then my friend sent me an email of Elder Wirthlin's popular conference talk. Sometimes our limited "vision" gets in the way of this life, but we have been promised eternal life and that our families will be together forever. There is comfort in that and in this message......
So for now, I am going to do what Ryan has asked: I'm going to cherish my children. I'm going to go down and play on the Wii with Easton, I'm going to spend the next hour reading to Olivia and take Allie to see Secret Garden and then tonight, thank my father in heaven profusely for the blessings that they are in my life.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Come What May & Love It
~To follow Dylan's story, please go HERE.~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment